Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Exposure

First let me explain what exposure is to the lay people (lay people is a word used to denote non-magicians) In magic exposure is the telling of secrets and methods of magic to non-magician. Think Masked Magician from FOX. In most magical circles this is the sin of sins. And extreme lengths are gone to in order to avoid exposure. I think this mind set is detrimental to magic. There is only one place where I think it is as horrible as it is viewed, but I'll get to that in a moment.
Where does most exposure happen. It happens on youtube, teenage "magicians" expose the secret to most tricks there. Mostly as a way to boost their own ego. Thats sucks but BFD (big friggin deal) Heres something magicians don't seem to get laypeople don't care how a trick is done. They may watch exposure videos and think well thats interesting but they don't commit it to memory its just not that important to them. I have been known to perform an effect from fox's magic's secrets revealed for people that watched that show with me.
We sat on the same couch and watch it together. I remembered how to do the trick they did not. They are impressed when they see me do the trick and go "How did you do that?"
Harry Blackstone Sr. one of histories greatest magicians used to do a stage show, out side the theater were posters exposing the very tricks he did. The crowds were still thrilled and amazed and wondered how he did it.

IT IS THE JOB OF THE PERFORMER TO CREATE IN THE MIND OF HIS SPECTATOR THE BELIEF THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY INTELLECTUAL FACT WHAT THEY ARE SEEING COULD ONLY BE DONE BY MAGIC.

I'm an amateur and I all ready figured that one out. If your spectators keep trying to call you out and expose you and your sleights are good, then learn a some self working tricks and focus on presentation and audience management

Now for the inexcusable exposure. Smart phones are everywhere and at a certain point your audience get too big to manage, like at a club. In this kind of setting there may be a person that just doesn't wanna enjoy the performance and has to answer his inner call to be a dick and use his phone to search out the secrets.. This annoys me not because its exposure but because the only person getting hurt is the other spectators the magician is still gonna get paid either way. But the audience is out a magical experience.

That said I will do my best to avoid exposing currently licensed and copyrited material but I make no such promise about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment