Monday, August 27, 2012

Coin magic.

So I never thought I would be doing coin magic. First a little back story, when I was around the age of three I lived on a chicken farm the type you get eggs from. Well what happens on those farms is the chicken lays the eggs and it rolls down a ramp onto a conveyor belt. One day my right hand was crushed by one of the machines. And that has been a pain in my butt ever since.

What does that have to do with coin magic, well the damage to my hand left a lot of scar tissue on my palm right where I would classic palm a coin. The scar tissue won't grab a coin, the coin slides across it, so I can't palm. And a lot of the effects I came across in my hodge podge days of starting in magic called for classic palming with the right hand. Eventually I wrote it off as not possible for me.

I'm older and wiser now and I know there is a lot more to coin magic than classic palming. So it's possible to work around not being able to classic palm with one hand. Its not easy and sometime it means learning a trick left handed which is a pain.

All that aside I kind of wish I had started study of coin magic immediately. There's something that really resonates with me about it. Its visual and it's flashy, I like that in my magic, even in my card magic.  Good coin magic also requires a lot of manual dexterity which is good for my damaged hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment