Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Eclipse by Eric Jones from Theory11

So I'm tooling around on Theory11 looking to get my magic fix, looking for a download and I watch the preview clip for Eclipse and I has to have it. It just seems so me. So I get it, didn't cost much, 6.95 for a 25 minute video from a respectable artist of an awesome looking utility move. I'll be honest I got it mostly for the color change. It is listed as an intermediate skill level which I felt I could handle. I had a little trouble down loading the almost half gig file. But that was more a fault of my modem.

The first thing I notice is that Eric Jones is left handed. After the explanation starts I see why its rated intermediate skill level, it requires a whole new grip, a sort of modified mechanics grip with two fingers on the top edge. Its very awkward at first and it's one of two problems I have with the move. Now I have to decide how I want to handle this. Do I want to shift into and out of this grip when I want to do this move, do I make this my full time grip, or not use this move? I may give the second option a go. The other thing is this move requires slick cards which means that at a certain point a deck will be too worn out to use this move well, which means I may not be able to use it with borrowed decks. It also means I can't practice with a beat up old deck. Other than those two things I'm a big fan of Eclipse. Eric Jones does a very good job of explaining everything and his tips and the end are invaluable.

I've been playing with this for a few days and I like it, I'm going with the shift into and out as needed route and I think I have a good effect cooked up using it.

If you found this review to helpful or you thought it sucked let me know in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment