Thursday, November 15, 2012

Skeptics be crazy

So I don't know how many of you subscribe to the Magic Roadshow newsletter but this latest issue had a link to an episode of the Amazing Kreskin a TV show from the 70's and then it had a link to opinion of Kreskin and then an opinion of the opinion. If you don't read the opinion at the link you won't know what I'm talking about. The article is almost two decades old but what I found interesting about it was the fascinating look it gave me into the mind of a skeptic. I have always know that skeptics existed but I had always thought that what they were fighting was the Miss Cleo's of the world. For those that don't know Miss Cleo was a fake Jamaican that sold psychic readings over the phone with some pay-per-call service back in the late 90's. I thought they were fighting the psychics that sold their services as real and not the entertainers. I've never seen anything that painted Kreskin as anything other than an entertainer but this article's tone really communicates a hatred of Kreskin. I mean it was the plan of this skeptic group to get one of their people in to surprise and harass Kreskin, sad part is today the producers would probably hurry the skeptic to a front row seat just because it would be good for ratings. I mean that takes a lot of animosity. There are a lot of people I don't like but the idea of taking time out of my day to harass them especially if I didn't know them personally seems a bit much. Beyond the authors own distaste towards Kreskin it seems that he is rather surprised that the interviewer did not share his desire to verbally attack an old man on stage (Kreskin would have been around 60 when the article was written), or that a publishing company would publish Kreskin's book.

The way I see it as a performer it's understood that what I do is an act for peoples entertainment, I may try to blur the lines of reality in performance but only in order to be entertaining so that you will feel that whatever it cost to see me was worth it, so that people will come see me so I can support myself doing what I love to do. So to any would be skeptics who want to give me a hard time remember the skills I use to entertain would make me a lot more more if used to swindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment